North Newnton parish church, dedicated to St. James, located in beautiful surroundings at the end of the lane by Falkner’s Farm, is first mentioned in 1258.
It has an ashlar 12th century nave and chancel, the bell house is possibly 14th century, the porch 18th century and the chancel was re-built around 1818. More on the history of the church and parish is available here in pdf form.
Two houses were registered as ‘dissenters meeting places’. The Methodist chapel, built in 1820 had seating for 134 people, including 32 in the gallery. In 1851 the average attendance was 90 – 100. The chapel closed in 1970.
Church Services at St James’, North Newnton Parish Church
1st Sunday in the month – 11am ‘Cafe Church’; informal worship, coffee & cake.
2nd Sunday in the month – 11am Morning Worship alternating monthly with Parish Communion.
Secretary to the PCC:
- Mrs Paula Baker
The Vale of Pewsey Team of churches web site, with full details of the clergy and services is well worth a look.
The attractive and peaceful cemetery, located in Hilcott and which also contains the parish’s war memorial, is seen very much as a community place. Upkeep costs are shared between the Parish Council and St James’ parish church. A list of the fallen in two World Wars can be found here in pdf form.